Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Prius: Because no one sees you not drive a car.

When we do good things, we often want others to know that we're doing good things. (What was it that Jesus said about your right and left hands?) As a result, the environmental movement will tend to focus too much on green consumption and not enough on reducing consumption.

Great quotes from Prius owners (New York Times archive, July 4, 2004):

''I really want people to know that I care about the environment,'' said Joy Feasley of Philadelphia, owner of a green 2006 Prius. ''I like that people stop and ask me how I like my car.''

Mary Gatch of Charleston, S.C., chose the car over a hybrid version of the Toyota Camry after trading in a Lexus sedan.

''I felt like the Camry Hybrid was too subtle for the message I wanted to put out there,'' Ms. Gatch said. ''I wanted to have the biggest impact that I could, and the Prius puts out a clearer message.''

No one sees you not drive a car.

Question of the day: is there some way to brand non-consumption? Green wristbands that indicate you've taken a pledge to cut back on buying things?

No comments:

Post a Comment